Quantcast

About Glu Console

BhagatSingh
Hi Yan,

Our company wants to customize glu console little bit per the requirement. Can you please give some idea how and where to start?

Thanks!
BS

Re: About Glu Console

There are various ways in how to proceed and customize the console, but I think it would really help in order to tell you the best route if you were to express the requirements that you have. Some of them may be done in some ways, others in other ways.

Re: About Glu Console

BhagatSingh
Hi Yan,
Sure, I can share the requirement with you once I have it, but so far I have been asked to go through glu console code and understand it to make changes whenever it requires.

So far I know is that we want to make changes in 'Plans' and 'Agent specific Screen'

What will  you suggest if I want to go through the glu console GUI code, where should I start?

FYI: I am new to Groovy and Grails.

Please also reply on the following threads:

http://glu.977617.n3.nabble.com/Consistently-getting-Unable-to-rename-tmp-agent-properties-2910d7c8-619e-4b2a-8e69-6e38240186cc-tmp-s-td4026401.html

http://glu.977617.n3.nabble.com/Instance-variable-serverRoot-value-does-not-retain-on-agent-start-td4026422.html

Thansks!
Bhagat

Re: About Glu Console

In order of less complex to more complex:

* you can customize the console with several parameters: see http://pongasoft.github.io/glu/docs/latest/html/console.html#configuration (especially the UI configuration section)

* you can customize the look & feel to some extent thanks to the fact that now the console is packaged as an "exploded" war file, thus allowing you to replace graphics (ex: your own logo instead of glu), and/or css and/or javascript (you would use the "setup.sh --config-templates-root xxx" command for this purpose)

* you can write your own plugins to tweak some aspects of the behavior (like for example if you want to use your own login/authentication mechanism): see http://pongasoft.github.io/glu/docs/latest/html/orchestration-engine.html#plugins

* you can ask for (and this is why I was asking for specific requirements) some new configuration parameters or plugins to add: not everything is configurable, nor everything is changeable via plugin, but depending on the demand/request, it may be useful to other users to open up more plugins or more configuration parameters

* you can build an entirely new console using whichever technology you want by using the REST api (of the console, as described here: http://pongasoft.github.io/glu/docs/latest/html/orchestration-engine.html#rest-api). Technically that is the way glu should be built as well: a thin UI on top of a REST api... It is not really the way it is done right now (maybe it will get there at some point). There are obviously quite a few REST api missing to be able to rebuild glu this way, but those can be added and would benefit everybody who wants to automate/program glu.

* you can fork the glu code, especially the console part and simply change it (which I think is a last resort/not recommended as the involvement in merging further changes may become quite daunting). The code is a self contained grails application which starts here https://github.com/pongasoft/glu/tree/master/console/org.linkedin.glu.console-webapp
In order to tackle this project, you would need to read about grails/groovy and be familiar with it. Seriously not recommended since you are new to both...

Re: About Glu Console

BhagatSingh
Hi Yan,
Here is attached screenshot which we want to build in glu console. We want to Start, Stop or Bounce an individual or multiple application(s) at the same time.

Please give your suggestion how to achieve this new design in glu console by developing new plugin or develop new screen and then use existing code to start, stop, and bounce application(s) in agent(s).

Thanks!
Bhagat

New Screen

Re: About Glu Console

Based on the screenshot it seems that it would be a lot easier to write a new console and invoking the rest api (of the glu console http://pongasoft.github.io/glu/docs/latest/html/orchestration-engine.html#rest-api).

Re: About Glu Console

BhagatSingh
Thanks Yan.

Thanks!