Quantcast

Advantages of Glu over Other deployment Tools?

Advantages of Glu over Other deployment Tools?

jeeviN
Hi Yan,
  This might sound silly to you. But i want to know the advantages of GLU over other deployment tools like Chef, puppet. In my previous organisation we used GLU(i'm happy with the tool) and in my current organisation we are not use any tool right now but we want to move to some deployment tool.I suggest GLU and some suggest Chef,puppet. I'm not aware of other tools. So from your point , how will you convince ppl to go for GLU?

Re: Advantages of Glu over Other deployment Tools?

Hello

It is not a silly question at all. I am sure many people have the same question.

* the video and/or slides on the main glu documentation page have a section at the end that tries to answer this question: http://pongasoft.github.io/glu/docs/latest/html/index.html

But to summarize, glu works at the app level (orchestrating deployment/lifecycle of your application and services), where chef and puppet work at a lower level, like provisioning the os (creating users, installing java, etc...).

That being said, I have not personally followed the evolution of chef and puppet. So I am talking about what I know from when I looked at them which is now ~5 years ago (which in internet time is an eternity...). They are clearly backed up by companies whose primary product is chef/puppet. They have a lot of resources and a team constantly working on their product. So I am not sure how much (or not) they have changed/gone into glu's territory. glu has definitely not gone into chef/puppet's territory :)

One thing to keep in mind is that I do not offer paid support and to my knowledge nobody does. So if your company does not want to use a tool for which they cannot get paid support (I know some companies have this policy), then glu would not be a candidate.

Does anybody on this forum has a more recent experience with chef and/or puppet and can share it?

Re: Advantages of Glu over Other deployment Tools?

lukestephenon
Just my opinions from reading.
Glu is designed for orchestrated application deployment.
Puppet is designed for specifying a target state and letting it take care of getting you to that target state.

I see many similarities between Glu and OctopusDeploy (with the later being tailored towards windows deployments). This blog post on the OctopusDeploy website has a good comparison between puppet and OctopusDeploy http://octopusdeploy.com/blog/octopus-vs-puppet-chef. I think the same arguments hold true for glu vs puppet.

Re: Advantages of Glu over Other deployment Tools?

sodul
An other way to view it is that you would use puppet/chef/salt etc where root is required and not give root/sudo access to the glu agent's user.

If someone says they need to run as root to use privilege ports then:
1- you should be behind a load balancer and/or firewall so the app should not use privilege ports
2- you should be able to configure you OS to allow specific users to use privilege ports (puppet/chef/salt would do the OS configuration)