Can I set 'org.linkedin.app.name' for each process I start?

Can I set 'org.linkedin.app.name' for each process I start?

oldgluuser
I noticed on the 'All Processes' tab the org.linkedin.app.name column.  Is there a way I can set that for the various Agents?  How about for processes that I start from an Agent?  Finally, can I replace the 'org.linkedin.app.name' column header in that table with my own more meaningful text?

Sorry for all the questions, but

thanks a lot!

Re: Can I set 'org.linkedin.app.name' for each process I start?

sodul
I actually modified my python scripts (called by the agents, or not) to accept/ignore -Dorg.linkedin.app.name=XXXX, this way I do get a clear idea of what all these python processes are :-).

Feel free to use and abuse it. As long as the process that has it does not throw a command line option error you will be fine. The console or the agents will not complain if other processes start showing up with it. Note that the Agent does not report on processes from other users on the host.

As for customizing it, looking at the template file ps.gsp:
      <th>PID</th>
      <th>COMMAND</th>
      <th>%CPU</th>
      <th>org.linkedin.app.name</th>

I would say it is not possible for you to customize it from a config file. You can always file this as a feature request.

Re: Can I set 'org.linkedin.app.name' for each process I start?

As Stephane described, this feature is simply looking for a process argument which looks like -Dorg.linkedin.app.name=xxx and simply displays xxx in the column. If you can add such an argument when you start your process (which clearly works fine if the process is java...) then the value will be displayed.

This could be made more generic and configurable. If this is what you want, then please create a ticket for it. Nobody has ever asked for it before :)

Yan