Remote agent - no route to host

anandsit
Hi..

i am using GLU 5.2.0 version and configured zookeeper, console and agent on the same host and find that everything is working fine..

I see two issues, can anyone pls help.

1. When i add multile agents in the list (def agentHosts = ["localhost","git.sapient.com", ]) only the first one gets created in the distribution list and the first one gets installed when install-all.sh is executed.

2. When i create a remote agent, the agent is detected and everything looks fine. but when i click main| gc | more, the i get an expected error, the console log is as below.. I am not a network expert and need help if this is a network firewall blocking issue..
2013/10/02 18:29:53.901 INFO [DefaultHttpClient] I/O exception (java.net.NoRouteToHostException) caught when connecting to the target host: No route to host
2013/10/02 18:29:53.901 INFO [DefaultHttpClient] Retrying connect

thanks
Anand

Re: Remote agent - no route to host

The fact that there is only 1 agent distribution (tarball) is normal when you simply install a single agent on each host: the agents are all the same, they simply read their configuration when they boot. During the install process though, they should all be installed on the hosts you specified.

Can you please post your meta model so we can take a look and see what is wrong?

If you install everything locally, then using "localhost" is fine. As soon as you start installing on remote hosts, then "localhost" should not be used anymore as it is quite confusing and in some cases is wrong (ex: if ZooKeeper is installed on "localhost", then a remote agent will try to connect to "localhost" which will not be what you intend it to be). As a result I would suggest to replace "localhost" with machine names and don't mix localhost with machine name.

Re: Remote agent - no route to host

anandsit
hi,

Thanks for the mail. having one agent in the distribution is accepted. But the installation happens only on the first agentHost specified and not on all (both) hosts. Attached is the meta model. Let me know if something is wrong in it.

Regarding the "no root to host" issue, it was the firewalls and once the ports were allowed through the firewall, the remote agent is communicating properly.

PS: i shall change the localhost to machine name soon.

Thanks
Anand

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM, frenchyan [via glu] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The fact that there is only 1 agent distribution (tarball) is normal when you simply install a single agent on each host: the agents are all the same, they simply read their configuration when they boot. During the install process though, they should all be installed on the hosts you specified.

Can you please post your meta model so we can take a look and see what is wrong?

If you install everything locally, then using "localhost" is fine. As soon as you start installing on remote hosts, then "localhost" should not be used anymore as it is quite confusing and in some cases is wrong (ex: if ZooKeeper is installed on "localhost", then a remote agent will try to connect to "localhost" which will not be what you intend it to be). As a result I would suggest to replace "localhost" with machine names and don't mix localhost with machine name.

http://glu.977617.n3.nabble.com/Remote-agent-no-route-to-host-tp4026136p4026137.html
To unsubscribe from Remote agent - no route to host, click here.
NAML

--
+91 8095 808 951
[hidden email]

jbossGluScript.groovy (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Remote agent - no route to host

You have attached the glu script... not the meta model

Re: Remote agent - no route to host

anandsit
Hi Frenchyan,

Sorry for the delayed reply. i got stuck with some other work. Attached is the meta model.

Thanks
Anand

http://glu.977617.n3.nabble.com/Remote-agent-no-route-to-host-tp4026136p4026159.html
To unsubscribe from Remote agent - no route to host, click here.
NAML

--
+91 8095 808 951
[hidden email]
Thanks & regards
Anand T A

glu-meta-model.json.groovy (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Remote agent - no route to host

The problem is what I already told you. You should not mix and match 'localhost' with ip addresses:

/**
 * Defines the hosts on which the ZooKeeper cluster should be installed (recommended 3 or 5).
 */
def zooKeeperHost1 = "localhost"
def zooKeeperHost2 = null
def zooKeeperHost3 = null
def zooKeeperHost4 = null
def zooKeeperHost5 = null

/**
 * Defines the host on which the console should be installed
 */
def consoleHost = "localhost"

/**
 * Defines the host where mysql is running. If you want to use the default database (not
 * recommended!) then set to null
 */
def mysqlHost = "localhost"
def mysqlUsername = "glua"
def mysqlPassword = "password"
//def mysqlHost = null

/**
 * Defines the host(s) on which the agent should be installed
 */
def agentHosts = ["localhost","git.sapient.com", ]

What happens is because zooKeeperHost1 is defined to be "localhost", then the zookeeper connection string will be "localhost:2181".

The problem is that "localhost" is a "relative" host name and means something different on each host. When you start the agent on 'git.sapient.com' then it tries to connect to ZooKeeper on "localhost" which (for this agent) is git.sapient.com and this is not where you installed ZooKeeper.

In other words replace (all) localhost with actual ip names or addresses and it should work.

Re: Remote agent - no route to host

anandsit
hi,

thanks for the help, now it works.