Status update

Hi guys

Just wanted to give you an update on what I am currently working on for the next iteration of glu. In a nutshell I am working on glu-58: Easy production setup

This is definitely no easy task, but the end result should be pretty sweet. My target goal is to have a "wizard" (implemented as a small webapp) that will let you configure glu the way you want, generate the keys, generate the tarballs containing the proper configuration files (keys, settings...). For example you should be able to specify the machines that represent your zookeeper cluster and you will get one tarball to install on each already properly configured (myid, zoo.cfg) for that.

In the end, there will be a glu meta model which represent the glu setup (fabrics, zookeeper, agents, ...)

Well it is a lot of work so it will take a while :)

Best

Re: Status update

sodul
Sweet!

I don't know if it is in the scope, but I would like to be able to create a fabric from the console (to call setup-zookeeper.sh, or equivalent), not just add one.

Re: Status update

In the first phase, it will definitely be a separate wizard/webapp (it is kind of a chicken and egg problem) and there will be way to create a fabric from it. Depending on how this goes and demand, some of this may be integrated in the console in a later phase. I am sure as I make progress it will become clearer what is and what is not possible.

Re: Status update

If you are interested in looking at the code I just pushed to a remote branch: https://github.com/pongasoft/glu/tree/glu-58

It is far from being complete and this branch is a work in progress (rebase and/or history rewriting may happen...)

Re: Status update

And this is the meta model for the tutorial: https://github.com/pongasoft/glu/blob/glu-58/packaging/org.linkedin.glu.packaging-all/src/cmdline/resources/conf/tutorial/glu-meta-model.json.groovy

The idea is that under the cover the packager should be able to take this as an input and generate all the tar files and configuration represented by the meta model.

Also https://github.com/pongasoft/glu/blob/glu-58/packaging/org.pongasoft.glu.packaging-setup-impl/src/main/groovy/org/pongasoft/glu/packaging/setup/KeysGenerator.groovy is the code to generate all keys (not packaged yet...)

Yan