Tomcat Deployment and Auditing Support?

jtbgl
I'm looking for a tool, which can deploy web application to Tomcat and maintain a deployment audit. Can someone help me understand whether glu is capable of the following tasks?

1) Deploy web applications (war) to a Tomcat instance
2) Farm deployment (deploy same app to multiple Tomcat instances)
3) See deployment audit (who deployed what on which instances)
4) Any enterprise support?

Re: Tomcat Deployment and Auditing Support?

I am currently traveling and have limited Internet access. The short answer is

Yes for 1, 2 and 3.
No for 4

Will post more details tomorrow.

Yan

On Sep 9, 2013 10:59 PM, "jtbgl [via glu]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm looking for a tool, which can deploy web application to Tomcat and maintain a deployment audit. Can someone help me understand whether glu is capable of the following tasks?

1) Deploy web applications (war) to a Tomcat instance
2) Farm deployment (deploy same app to multiple Tomcat instances)
3) See deployment audit (who deployed what on which instances)
4) Any enterprise support?

http://glu.977617.n3.nabble.com/Tomcat-Deployment-and-Auditing-Support-tp4026062.html
To start a new topic under glu, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from glu, click here.
NAML

Re: Tomcat Deployment and Auditing Support?

jtbgl
Thanks Yan.

It would be a great help to know more.

JT

Re: Tomcat Deployment and Auditing Support?

1) Deploy web applications (war) to a Tomcat instance
Yes, Glu allows you to deploy pretty much anything. I've used Glu to deploy C++ apps, Python (Django) apps, Tomcat apps, plain Java apps, shell scripts and even plain binary content. For most cases you will have to provide the logic of how to deploy your components but there are some contributions that provide support already.
For example this script:
https://github.com/jmruc/glu-scripts-contrib/blob/tomcat/scripts/org.linkedin.glu-scripts-contrib.tomcat/src/main/groovy/TomcatGluScript.groovy

What I do in our case and because we support a large number of deployment types is a generic groovy script that is app agnostic, but have glu deploy the deployment scripts along with the app. The groovy script is then a simple pass through that calls a custon python script (also generic), which in turn calls custom script that are app specific. This gives us great control and flexibility and also allow us to tune the deployment logic without the need to go through a glu console or agent. I posted more details about this yesterday.

2) Farm deployment (deploy same app to multiple Tomcat instances)
That is the whole point of Glu. I often joke that Glu is confirmed to support deploying up to 3000 machines in parallel, so there is a lot of room to grow. The new groovy DSL makes it easier to maintain a cluster of machines that have the same versions to be deployed. We use custom scripts written in Python that give us a bit more flexibility and control.

3) See deployment audit (who deployed what on which instances)
Yes, all actions are logged in the database and Glu provides a UI to show past deployments, past models, and all user activity. The deployment logs will include the name of the binaries deployed (the initParameters section is included). The Glu audits will really come handy if you need security compliance.

4) Any enterprise support?
No. Yan is retired and not interested into setting up a company at this time. He is open to have a third party provide enterprise support. Yan is very active and responsive in this forum and most bugs get fixed within a few weeks.

Re: Tomcat Deployment and Auditing Support?

I am not sure what to add to Stephane very thorough response!

In regards to #4, the idea is that the code is open source, readily available (github is super easy to fork...) and has a lot of documentation (probably more than most open source projects). It is also very easy to build and has a full page documenting it: http://pongasoft.github.io/glu/docs/latest/html/dev-setup.html including a quick setup guide to bring the full (dev) stack up: http://pongasoft.github.io/glu/docs/latest/html/dev-setup.html#quick-setup-guide

The entire glu build is done via a single command at the root:

./gradlew -Prelease=true clean test release

which will compile and package the .tar.gz that comes with glu (use -Pno.documentation=true if you don't want to bother with installing sphinx for generating the documentation).

Re: Tomcat Deployment and Auditing Support?

jtbgl
Thanks Yan and Stephane.

That really helped.