glu 3.5.0 WIP

This post was updated on .
Guys

I have started working on the new version of glu 3.0.5 which will introduce customization in the dashboard: https://github.com/linkedin/glu/issues?milestone=8&state=open

I will regularly push code in a branch: glu-3.0.5.dev (https://github.com/linkedin/glu/tree/glu-3.0.5.dev)

It is under (heavy) dev so it may or may not work :) Just in case you are interested...

Re: glu 3.0.5 WIP

I really meant 3.5.0.... oh well :)

Re: glu 3.0.5 WIP

Progress status report as of 10/28/2011:

Making good but slow progress.

Got seriously distracted with a problem I wanted to address: ability to have domain classes outside of grails. It turned out to not be trivial at all. The good news is that I found a solution which makes sharing code much easier. This will be released as a separate grails plugins very soon.

Re: glu 3.5.0 WIP

Guys

I wanted to show the progress as the design is 'evolving' quite a bit (thanks to bootstrap by twitter). This is not the final version.

The text above the table is definitely not final and is here mostly during development. Several things to note:

* No more System/Model tabs: just one called Model (with subtab)
* new tab called Agents
* Plans was renamed Deployments
* fabric selection (glu-dev-1 on the right of the top navbar) is now a dropdown so no more navigating to several different pages
* impossible to see on the screenshot but the top navbar is actually fixed even if the page is long and you scroll down: it always remains visible

Re: glu 3.5.0 WIP

rantav
Looks good. What does the Deploy/DELTA stand for?

--
/Ran

On Nov 1, 2011, at 18:25, "frenchyan [via glu]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Guys

I wanted to show the progress as the design is 'evolving' quite a bit (thanks to bootstrap by twitter). This is not the final version.

The text above the table is definitely not final and is here mostly during development. Several things to note:

* No more System/Model tabs: just one called Model (with subtab)
* new tab called Agents
* Plans was renamed Deployments
* fabric selection (glu-dev-1 on the right of the top navbar) is now a dropdown so no more navigating to several different pages
* impossible to see on the screenshot but the top navbar is actually fixed even if the page is long and you scroll down: it always remains visible

http://glu.977617.n3.nabble.com/glu-3-5-0-WIP-tp3422555p3471132.html
To start a new topic under glu, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from glu, click here.

Re: glu 3.5.0 WIP

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words :)

This is roughly equivalent to what you would have seen in the current console when clicking on the "product1" link in the table in the dashboard.

In this new design, the dashboard is the primary view. You can customize the columns (which data you see, including sorting, order, group by, etc...) as well as the rows (which filter you are using). Clicking on a link in the table now loops back on the dashboard showing only the rows resulting from the filter. You still need a way to 'act' on it: how do you deploy all product1 for example? This is what the tab does.

Another way to think about it

* the "View" tab under dashboard is showing a 'view' of the delta (as a table with red/green rows)
* the "Deploy" tab under dashboard is showing a different 'view' of the delta (as a plan that can be executed)

This is why it is a 'tabbed' interface: the 2 tabs are actually showing the exact same data based of the same filter (in this example product="product1"). In the 'old' ('current' would me more appropriate :) design, the 2 concepts were totally separated (Dashboard primary tab vs System tab) which I think is less clear.

The text "Deploy / DELTA" was just an attempt at showing that there is actually a delta (meaning there are red rows in the table). When there are no red rows, you still want access to the 'action' tab (in this case the tab is named "Deploy") because you may want to do 'bounce', 'redeploy' or 'undeploy'. I don't think this name will remain (I just wanted to point out the fact that there is something wrong...)

Hope this makes sense (I guess I am over 1000 words now :)

Re: glu 3.5.0 WIP

rantav
The design is much cleaner and I like it.

One thing I recall from the current interface that's a bit annoying is that the checkbox of summary was not persistent. It'd be nice if the ui remembered your preference or at least persisted the summary option in the URL so that back/forward would behave nicer.

http://glu.977617.n3.nabble.com/glu-3-5-0-WIP-tp3422555p3474183.html
To start a new topic under glu, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from glu, click here.

Re: glu 3.5.0 WIP

It's all built in now... it is part of the 'customize dashboard' effort. Everything is remembered! It is pretty sweet :)

Yan

http://glu.977617.n3.nabble.com/glu-3-5-0-WIP-tp3422555p3475000.html